Friday, March 12, 2010

a selfless good deed?

A couple weeks ago while Owen was at school, Abigail and I watched the snow fall. It snowed around four inches that day. After picking Owen up from school I noticed a few driveways on our street that needed to be shoveled. We have quite a few retired people living on our street. I bundled up the kids and handed them each a shovel and informed them that we would be shoveling two of our neighbors driveways. Owen was less than thrilled with the idea, having just gotten home from school. After telling him he had no choice we began our service. About two minutes into it he was having so much fun! He loved it! In fact, he wanted to shovel some more driveways. I explained to him that when we help others it makes us happy. Our reward for helping others is the way it makes us feel.

Now fast forward to the present time. As I unloaded the troops after school the other day, my neighbor came running over with gifts in hand. She told both Owen and Abbie how thankful she was for all the hard work they did, and how much she appreciated it. She then handed them each a gift!

*Owen can't wait to help someone else!*

No comments: